Fried Green Tomatoes with Crab Claw Remoulade
This recipe can be served as an appetizer or a small entree, depending on how much you put on the plate. I like to stack the tomatoes two high atop a dollop of “crabless” remoulade and some watercress with layers of crab remoulade in between and on top. The crispy breading with the tangy tomatoes and the rich, spicy remoulade is perfect for brunch. And if you’re feeling particularly adventurous, you can add a fried or poached egg for a special treat.
I also like to use crab claw meat because it’s only about $6 for a cup. Which is more than you need. But you can mix the leftover crab claw meat with a little ketchup and horseradish and spread it on crackers with cream cheese for a light hors d’ouvres or evening snack.
What you need:
2 medium or large green tomatoes
2 eggs beaten
1/2 Cup Flour
1 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
1/2 Cup Mayo (homemade pref.)
4 oz. of Crab Claw meat
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne
2 cups of watercress
1/4 Cup of Canola Oil
Juice of 1 lemon
What you do:
To make the remoulade:
In a mixing bowl, combine mayo, paprika, garlic, rosemary, basil, oregano, cayenne and lemon juice. Set aside while frying the tomatoes to allow the flavors to marry.
To fry the tomatoes:
1. Place flour, eggs and breadcrumbs in separate shallow dishes. Season flour with salt and pepper.
2. Slice green tomatoes about 1/4” thick. You should get about 4-5 slices per tomato.
4. Dredge tomatoes in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs coating liberally and evenly. Set aside.
5. Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add tomatoes a couple at a time and fry until golden brown. Remove from oil and place on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
To prepare for eating:
1. Divide the remoulade in two. Mix half with crab claw meat until you get the consistency you want.
2. Place a dollop of crabless remoulade on a small plate. Add a small handful of watercress. Add a tomato slice. Add a layer of crab remoulade. Add another tomato slice, add more crab remoulade and a watercress leaf or two.